Monday, July 9, 2012

Open House Activities

I bought the Pages program (way better than Word) for my Mac last year and have found a TON of cute clipart and borders from blogging.  Now, when I look back at the documents I made in the past, they look incredibly boring!  So, I've been going through and updating some things....

I've redone my Open House documents and thought I'd share!  Here are a few things I do on our school's Open House night (usually several weeks into the school year):


Raffle - I usually run to Dollar Tree and create a goodie basket of school supplies, fun erasers, etc. for a student to win.  I leave the prize sitting on my desk all day for the kids to ogle at!  When parents attend Open House, they enter their child into the drawing.    I honestly think this helps with attendance because the students beg their parents to come so that they can be entered into the drawing!  Sneaky, I know.  ;)  The following day, I do the drawing in class.

 
 
Poem/Letter to Parents - I found a poem online a few years ago that I have my students copy on a writing template.  They leave this poem on their desks for their parents to see.  I lay an envelope and stationary on the students' desks so parents can write a note back to them.


Mystery Students - My students create portraits of themselves and fill out a clue card to hang beneath it.  Parents then try to guess which picture is their child!
Reading Survival Kit - I put together "Reading Survival" baggies for families to take home!


Click on the image below to download my Open House Packet with these activities!

13 comments:

  1. This is wonderful!! I love the idea of a raffle at Open House. Thank you so much! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the clue card for the portraits and the raffle idea! I always have the kids paint self portraits the first week of school and the parents always try to guess which one is their child, but I've never thought to post clues! Thanks for sharing!

    Aimee
    Primarily Speaking

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am LOVING the raffle idea!! What a great way to get attendance up! :)

    Marie
    The Hands-On Teacher in First!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many great ideas, but especially love the raffle idea! Thanks so much fo sharing!
    Colleen
    Totally Terrific in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Open House packet! Thanks for a great freebie! So glad you stopped by The Bubblegum Tree. I'm following you back :) Your blog is too cute!

    Bethany

    The Bubblegum Tree

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE the Open House Packet. Thank you so much for making this a freebie. I will definitely be using this. I am new to the blogging world. Please stop by my page when you have time to check it out :)

    inmyownlittleteachingworld.blogspot.com

    Thanks again,
    Ivania

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some fabulous things here. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing. What program did you use for the design and clip art for Mac? I am so loving your work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing. What program did you use for the design and clip art for Mac? I am so loving your work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your packet is adorable-thanks for sharinjg! I love the mystery portrait and clues!

    Patti
    primary practice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your packet!!! My plans/ideas for Open House fell through (and it's next Tues...ahhhh!!) , but your packet has saved me!! thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey I got a mac and have pages. How do I get the clipart? I am a new Mac owner and still learning. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  13. GREAT IDEAS!!! I am honored to be your 401st follower...smiles and stop by anytime!

    ReplyDelete